Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jesus’ boyhood

In spite of the nice break the picnic gave me, I'm still feeling stressed out. The core group accepted yet another request that would make my life a little easier: for the next month or two, I will lead the stories, games, & crafts myself. I will still write them in Chinese "for posterity," but if I don't get them done until Friday or Saturday, it won't matter because I won't have to meet with any of them to go over the material ahead of time. Once I find a way to get at least a week ahead, this won't be an issue. I do love our core group folks!!

This week's story had two parts. The first was Mary & Joseph bringing Jesus to the temple as a baby, & His being recognized by Simeon and Anna as God's promised Savior. Our one stubborn-unbeliever mom got into the part of being the elderly Anna, leaning on her cane as she wobbled up to see the baby. '

Part two was Jesus visiting, and staying behind at, the temple at age 12. I asked one of our neurotypical girls, an 8-year-old, to play the part of Jesus. Took her aside before the morning program started to explain how, when the "crowd" went out through the bedroom & balcony to reappear in the living room, that she should stop in the bedroom & then turn back. She seemed quite proud to be chosen for this "secret mission"—but then forgot it when the time came and I had to yell after her several times to get her to come back & not go into the living room with everyone else! Oh well.

For our game, instead of the parents looking for their lost son, the parents went to hide one at a time to be searched for by their kids. Good fun. I finally remembered what "craft" we'd done for this story three years ago, & did it again. A maze for the kids to trace the path to help the parents find the boy Jesus.

I was watching the kids during the adult Bible study. Bruce told me that as part of the discussion he said that good parenting practice may have included Mary & Joseph discussing this incident with their son and praying with Him about how to deal with His role while still a boy. Our new believer asked, "Oh, could they pray already back then too?" I LOVE these kinds of questions!! So real, so innocent (and so easy to answer)!

Interestingly, before I heard about the Bible study, I had had a talk with one of our Christian moms about an ongoing conflict she's been having with her neurotypical daughter over the girl's tendency to dawdle over her homework. I urged her to consider praying with the girl for a solution to the problem. Even before God provides the solution, it would be a chance for the two of them to put themselves on the same side in the war-with-dawdling, rather than being only antagonists. So that dovetailed rather nicely with the Bible study application! Perhaps I can find out this week if they tried it & how it went.

No comments: